4.01.2014

Just one more thing...

There's just one more project I want to share with you from my workshop studio overhaul...
my first IKEA hack...




I'm always amazed when I see other's IKEA hacks - such a stroke of genuis to take a good design object and make it even better...so mine is nothing grand...but I think stands up to the idea of taking a good idea just one step further...









It started with these castors...





these plastic garbage can dollies were a steal at $3 each...bought them at Lowe's...we no longer carried the garbage can that fit the dolly so no one wanted them...I had no need for the plastic...but the large size casters were gold...and I had my eureka moment...







I bought several PINGLA boxes at IKEA...sturdy cardboard storage boxes with a classic polka dot design...I have a couple of large plastic storage tubs that hold all paper scraps from previous collage projects...its a cornucopia of treasures...you never know what perfect scrap you might find...and my tubs are legendary...people are familiar with them from attending past workshops and events...so I wanted to include the tubs in the workshop studio...but desired a better looking solution...

I thought I would attach the casters to each box...but needed reinforcement...leftover birch plywood scraps from the large chalkboard I mounted on the studio wall were perfect...I cut two pieces to fit the bottom of each box...





I drilled a hole in each corner of the wood piece to insert the pin of the caster; it was easy enough to punch a hole through the cardboard layers of the box...a heavy duty washer reinforced the area as I screwed on the nut to hold each caster in place...







































After I had the bottom completed, I took a length of jute twine and wrapped each handle...the folded cardboard flap did not want to lie flat so the twine solved that problem and added extra durability...











Filled up the boxes with my paper extravaganza...

and rolled them into place under the work table...







































The boxes will now be able to roll around the studio as needed and won't have to be lugged up and down or slide across the floor...a simple solution...



providing more energy to concentrate on inspiration...mmm...what can I find in here...





Linking up with Funky Junk Interiors Junk Party...featuring upcycled office storage solutions...I think this works...but that's the joy of going recycled...so many different options...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails